Saturday, September 19, 2009

Stray Stories

Here is a website full of stories of stray animals-some of them are heart-breaking-take a look.
http://www.helium.com/knowledge/44124-reflections-stray-dog-stories

The night was bitter cold as I wandered outside for my 3 am break. In the glow of the street lights I noticed him lying against a parked car seeking shelter from the brisk winter breeze. He was curled up tightly and looked small, frail, and thin. I went back to the vending machines and got a tuna sandwich and some beef jerky and took it too him. He ate both gratefully then looked at me with sad, soulful eyes as if to ask if that was all I had. I gave him a pat and turned to go in, and then he stood up.
I had never seen such a tall dog before. The small creature before me unfolded from around itself to stand with his head above my waist. He was even thinner than I had first thought. I could see every bone and tendon in his body. He looked like a skeleton wrapped tightly in an undersized skin. I have never seen a creature so starved that was still alive much less able to walk. I went back and spent what money I had left on vending machine food for him. I made sure to keep one stick of beef jerky for after work. For better or for worse this poor creature was going home with me..... read on at the website

No comments: